"Metropolis" - centerspread from the original 1927 French Pressbook

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Eraserhead

I have to say this one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen. I have heard many things about it, but after watching it I feel like I wasted two hours of my life. I do believe there are some commendable things to say about it, like thank god it was only two hours instead of three. Honestly, I was impressed with the set design and style of the piece simply based on the budget restrictions he(Lynch) was under. I also liked the quirkiness of Jack Nance. With that said, I thought not only was this movie a trip into the surreal, but I think not even David Lynch knew what he was trying accomplish. This movie should have been lost into obscurity, but people who are lost themselves and are searching for a deeper meaning in life somehow latched onto this film at the midnight showings! I will save all of you the time and energy.... this film has no meaning! There is no rhyme or reason to the chaos presented before us in this picture! I am almost inclined to think that Mr. Lynch was doing a social experiment to see if the audience can create meaning where there is none....

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more. I have never been so depressed and angry about having watched a movie in my life; and I didn't even pay for a movie ticket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it and frankly was not disturbed about it. it was one of those films where my random trail of thought felt comfortable because my mind sometimes works that way. I was eating throughout the film as well and still made it to the process of digestion.

    ReplyDelete