"Metropolis" - centerspread from the original 1927 French Pressbook

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I must say I was extremely impressed with this movie. The story line was actually very complex and I had to watch the movie and then read a synopsis on the movie to get the entire story straight. It really made you think, and I think that makes you feel like you actually get more out of a movie.

The set design was amazing for 1920. Does anyone know if Tim Burton was influenced by this movie? I see a lot of his style resembles this movie.

What did everyone else think? I know it's hard for some to get into silent movies, but I love them!


Ashley Ripka

2 comments:

  1. I agree it was a pretty impressive Movie.
    I do have to be honest though, it took me quite a while to actually get into the movie, I felt like I was reading a book that turns its own page (sometimes faster then Ii could read .
    I enjoyed the ending the most, it took a pretty great and unexpected turn.
    The first thought I had when I saw the set design was that it looks a lot like the Dr. Seuss Island at Universal Studio, but it just added to the weirdness of the movie (weird in a good way).
    The make-up artist has done an amazing job in highlight the eyes, and the use of the whiter color as a base gave the people a more sinister look. The Pale color also helped to emphasize the actors expression more which is essential in a silent movie!
    Juanita Tomazsewski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this is a little late, I also agree it was a good movie. I not a film student so coming from a different view it was actually very good especially coming from the time era. I would think Burton could have possibly gotten some sort of influence from it since it runs along the same lines as his movies with that weirdness. I normally dont enjoy silent movies or black and white but it kept my attention

    ReplyDelete