"Metropolis" - centerspread from the original 1927 French Pressbook

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Film Noir w/ a twist

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Pictures, Images and Photos

Even though it's a bit of a stretch, I think "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" falls in the category of film noir. It has elements that most, if not all noirs have in common: the detective, the beautiful and seductive woman, and of course, the dramatic use of shadow (especially seen in scenes inside the detective's office).

The best part is, Who framed Roger Rabbit 2 comes out in 2012!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this movie! I used to own it on VHS. I don't think it's a stretch at all honestly, I see it as a meshing of two art styles from the same time period. You have Film Noir in the detective and you have a parody of the looney tunes in the cartoon characters. I firmly believe that Roger Rabbit as a character is a direct and blatant parody of Bugs Bunny. The use of shadows, and the mystery aspect of it are all strong genre points of a Film Noir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never get tired of this film. Great movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how this can be considered Film Noir. Especially the way the detective acts throughout the movie: stern, somewhat mysterious and tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A second one? Why? The first one was awesome already!

    ReplyDelete